Monday, November 13, 2006

For Your Consideration

Warner Brothers has put up a For Your Consideration site for the blockbuster The Departed. They’re pushing it for Best Picture and Best Director, and in the Best Supporting Actor category, they’re throwing their weight behind Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg and...Matt Damon. Matt?!! For Supporting Actor?! Are they kidding? This picture is practically all about Damon’s character!

Colin Sullivan is the focus right off the bat when mob man Frank Costello buys the young boy’s support with a bag of groceries. From there, Matt looks really sexy in a police officer’s uniform and seems fraught with worry over his duplicity with his girlfriend and everyone he works with. At times, you believe he’s going to go straight and help the cops take Costello down and other times you’re positive he’s taking the whole gang of Staties out of the picture. He’s a nasty, nasty character, this Colin Sullivan. And if he wasn’t quite so beautiful I’d want nothing at all to do with him. But Matt’s gorgeousity helps cover his underhandedness. It's a part of his character!

And the way this guy can deliver a line! When he tells Vera Farmiga he would stab somebody with an ice pick if it would get him a date with her it made me so jealous of her I wanted to stab myself with an ice pick. And the way he delivers his last line (“Okay…”), as though he expected everything to turn out just the way it did, and that he was somehow relieved about it, well it gave me chills, I tell you, chills!

So it doesn’t matter and it’s all politics anyway, right? Well, yeah. That’s true enough. I mean, Matt probably has a shot at Best Actor for The Good Shepherd (coming December 22). And everyone knows your chances diminish if you’re nominated twice in the same category. And Warners is obviously waiting to see if Blood Diamond (opening December 8) gets Leonardo DiCaprio the acclaim they’re expecting before they pencil his name in for Best Actor on the FYC site for The Departed (the site now shows the Best Actor category with no name attached).

Movie studios spend mucho dinero at this time of the year trying to bring gold home, and although they don’t think Matt has the Midas touch in the leading man category, perhaps Universal will mount their own campaign to tell the world Matt’s the Best Actor when The Good Shepherd comes out (again, that’s December 22). Or maybe De Niro, who directed The Good Shepherd, will spend his own dinero to get Matt noticed?

Regardless, the important thing is that I know Matt was the best actor in The Departed, and that I know he’ll also be the best actor in The Good Shepherd, and quite possibly the best actor in all of Hollywood this year. What are you gonna do? Throw Steve Carell in Little Miss Sunshine at me? Puhleeze! Or maybe you’re one of those people who think Ryan Gosling pretending to be a crackhead was a revelation? Um, yeah, okay. If you’re a crackhead!

Perhaps I’m biased (to hell with “perhaps,” you know I'm biased), but Matt gave such a fantastic performance in The Departed, I’d be happy to give him a gold statue right now! But hey, if Matt would so much as call me, I’d immediately turn into a statue and he could paint me gold and put me on his mantel. Or anywhere else he might want to put me. Anywhere at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home