Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Making Georgia Davenport Green

Well, it's a scorcher! Isn't it cute the way those news anchors smile real bright and tell us "It's hot this morning and it's only going to get hotter." In fact, I'm given to understand we may reach a new level of hotdom today. It could be a record-breaking kind of day. Ever so exciting, no?

So I find myself worried about the applicants coming in to see me today. As part of my job (and no, I'm not telling you stalkers what it is - Matt knows where he can find me when he needs me) in a Human Resources capacity, I interview people who think they'd like to work here too. Since all the advice about how to dress for an interview says to wear a suit, the poor men and women I'm talking with have gone through sweat-drenched hell to get to my office. So as they sit across the desk from me, obviously I'm thinking about what it would be like if they were Matt.

"What's your greatest strength," I'd ask.

And Matt would say "My arms are pretty strong, but I think my greatest strength is my love for you, Sam."

I'd lower my eyes coquettishly and blush just a touch, then hit him with "Where do you see yourself in five years?"

At that point, he'd lean across the desk and whisper conspiratorially "Still gazing into your bright blue eyes, of course."

What were we talking about? Oh yes, it's hot! So the city is asking us to conserve. You know, turn off the air conditioner when we're not home, don't use too many lights when we are home, that sort of thing. What I'm wondering, though, is if it gets hot each summer (and it does) and people use more electricity as the temperature goes up (and they do), why isn't Consolidated Edison onto that little fact of life? It's like Georgia Davenport, a girl I went to school with, who always forgot that we had a Social Studies quiz the third Friday of every month. When the teacher (Mr. Ratcliff) would say "Books under your desk please," Georgia would always be so surprised - "Are we having a test today? Really?" Some of us become acquainted with routines and others never seem to notice.

So if Con Ed isn't prepared (and they're not), how are we to stay cool? Well, there's always the beach, right? And if everyone at the beach looked the way Matt does in a lime green banana hammock, we'd all be feeling a lot hotter, wouldn't we? So, books under your desk, please, time for a quiz:

What other film(s) did Matt wear a bathing suit in?

Does Matt ever take off his shirt in All the Pretty Horses?

When Matt wakes up to look out at the lawn fertilizer being delivered in The Rainmaker, what shirt is he wearing?

Okay, pencils down. How'd you do? Did you get them all right? Of course you did! Georgia Davenport would be green with envy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so I can't answer your quiz... But I know he was in the water in BOURNE and in RIPLEY, and I think he got wet, but not in the water in DOGMA. So maybe that counts. As for the rest, well, as you know, I am an admirer, not an obsessor! But don't forget to give the answers at some point...

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home