Monday, July 31, 2006

Powerless to Stop It

Residents of Northwest Queens in New York City underwent a week without power. I mention this because I was one of those residents. I mention that because I was unable to watch my DVD of The Bourne Identity for an entire week. And I really wanted to see it (again). You know how it can be when you're thinking about a certain kind of food all day and then when you go to the supermarket on your way home they don't have it in stock? Well, Matt movies are certainly like food. They provide the sustenance needed to go on through another day. So when you have to go through six days without the needed sustenance AND a heat wave on top of it, well, I'm not a big fan of Consolidated Edison right now.

The good news is that I can finally watch The Bourne Identity again. The bad news is, the craving has passed. So I've been catching up on my viewings of The West Wing. Every other liberal Democrat in the country had his fill of this show when it was on the air between 1999 and 2006, but I was late in coming to the party. I thought I wouldn't want to watch a political drama. Now that it's been quite a few (hundred? or does it just feel that way?) years since the liberal Democrats have been in power, I thought I'd satisfy my nostalgia and mire myself in this clever drama. Let me just say, since I know Matt will probably never run for President, I want to cast my vote now for Martin Sheen.

Yeah, yeah, it's a fictional character. Well, haven't you ever got wrapped up in a fictional story to the point where you believed in the characters and wanted the best for them? Now, come on, I don't believe in them like I think the presidential speech writer is really as handsome (or as smart) as Rob Lowe, but the show is believable in a sort of "I could see that happening just the way they've played it out" way and it is possible to lose oneself in the drama of this White House staff that has the best interests of America at heart. I'm fairly certain the current administration wouldn't agree that this fictional administration has the best interests of America at heart -- so that's how I know it's true. Aaron Sorkin has made it very easy to root for the team that leads the nation. He shares their joys and pains with us and makes it all so dramatic without veering off into melodrama. Or so say I, anyway. I'm finding it to be gripping drama, as a matter of fact, and I'm finding it hard to hang on to see what comes next.



This week, the news anchors are cheerfully (why are they always so cheerful?) predicting another heat wave, so it's quite possible my neighborhood will lose its power again. If that should happen, I may get another craving to see The Bourne Identity. We always want what we can't have, don't we? Should that craving come, I know I'll be powerless to stop it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So maybe get a copy of the book--even the novelization if you must--and review those scenes when Matt does the incredible when you're not able to watch....

(Which won't be true this week, since I'm SURE ConEd will have realized the trouble they are in for potentially denying you something you need like air!)

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home